Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Leather And Lace

Today was my nine year wedding anniversary and it coincided with me needing to paint my nails. So I looked up traditional wedding gifts for year and nine and the options were either Traditional: pottery, UK: copper or US Modern: leather goods.  I thought pottery was not a concept I wanted to get into in terms of a manicure, so I thought I could go modern US and go leather.  That got me thinking and it immediately triggered the song Leather and Lace by Stevie Nicks and Don Henley.  Especially since my husband oddly requested we sing this duet karaoke (something he rarely does these days) but mostly odd because he wants to sing the Stevie Nicks part. ;)  So I first I tried to find lace in my home and came across some lingerie from my bridal shower (how fitting) that I no longer wear and cut 10 to fit my fingers.  However, it didn't work well as a concept because I used a black polish base (China Glaze Liquid Leather, of course.  To keep with the theme) and when a clear polish was painted over the red lace, it lost all its contrast.  So plan B was to use Konad design and a nude nail for the lace background.

And there you have the long back story to this manicure.  I was happy with my stamping, I've been really trying to improve my accuracy since I had to use two different images.  I like the lace mostly for it's tie to the manicure's nostalgia, but it's scratchy and hard once a top coat is applied, and I'm not sure if I actually like real lace manicures.  Either way, happy anniversary to me!

Left Hand:

 Right Hand:



On all fingers but ring, I painted three coats of China Glaze Liquid Leather and used Konad Image Disk m57 with China Glaze Passion.  My ring fingers were painted with three coats Zoya Skyand then lace was added.  Each finger was finished with one coat of Seche Vite.

3 comments:

Erin said...

love it, and love the duet!!!

charmed-chick said...

love it :)

aimeeus said...

This is so cool! I'm glad I found my blog! It's an inspiration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...